Go Back   erutufon|nofuture > erutoaudiotech
User Name
Password

Old 7th November 2007   #1
Loz
Bill Shatner

home made modular synth

here's a question you can probably answer, Julian

if I wanted to make my own modular analogue synth, where is a good place to start? I have a fairly good understanding of electronics, and my soldering skills are fine.

How much money would it likely cost me to make a little modular synth, say 2 oscillators (maybe 3 eventually), 2 filters, an amp, 1 or 2 lfos, and a little step sequencer (although in the mean time, I could sequence it off my sh-101)
 :: quote post ::
Old 8th November 2007   #2
julian
i like synthesisers...

The main expense with every modular is the pannel components, not the circuit components themselves (assuming youre not planning on building some CEM based device, that is!)

Looking at one doepfer style 3u module, theres generally 5 pots and 5 jacks. With VAT, the cost of that pannel, without engraving is probably about £8 or £9, depending on what sort of quantity breaks you make with supplier pricing. (obviously if youre buying in bulk, for a complete system, things will get cheaper)

(this is an ‘off the top of my head’ price – check somewhere like farnell or rapid for more exact costs)

If youre buying in the pcbs from somewhere, they can normally be had pretty cheap. Check musicfromouterspace for example.

Call it under a fiver to stuff them. But thatll be vastly more to start with, as to buy one resistor value, its sensible to buy a pack of 100, so the first module, if you looked at it like that, would cost loads, and then subsequent ones seem to cost a lot less.

Youll need a psu. These can sometimes be had off ebay cheaper than building them yourself. Maybee budget £20, or something fairly minor (but with some ammount of waiting till one comes up)

Youll need an enclosure. If youre confident with hardware, you could consider building one, or again, surplus from ebay for eurocard systems (theyre used in industrial applications all over) Again, could be cheap, but could involve some ammount of waiting.

So, whats that, maybee £25 per module before engraving, plus cash for the enclosure and psu?

I don’t know how accurate that is though, but its not going to be so far out with standard modules.
Old 8th November 2007   #3
julian
i like synthesisers...

hmm... my ebay engine just turned up this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140177092710

im not suggesting that as an alternative, but if you simply want the function, itlld be a lot less hassle...
Old 8th November 2007   #4
JE:5
On the edge of darkness

There was a really good DIY analogue synth book by R.A. Penfold called Electronic Synthesiser Construction, might be worth tracking a copy down. (I did photocopy the whole thing but I think it got thrown out with loads of my college work)
Old 8th November 2007   #5
KuffDam
Registered Erutufon Member

I was gonna suggest the MOTM kits.. but it looks like they never sold enough...

http://www.synthtopia.com/news/06_07/MOTM_Update.html
Old 8th November 2007   #6
julian
i like synthesisers...

The end of MOTM kits was nothing to do with sales, but rather another repercussion of the ROHS legistlation which came into effect in europe last year.

As i understand it, in order to ship to europe, the MOTM modules needed a design change to use ROHS complient components, largely going over to surface mount components which a) arent really so suitable for kit sales, and b) are a lot cheaper to manufacture pre-built (probably over in china) hence negating some of the advantages of kit sales.

Lots of things got hit by the ROHS legislation. Its the reason Colin Fraser stopped the P3 when he did, one of the reasons Tony Allgood quit selling the Oakely boards - i think it had something to do with Paul Maddox's stuff too, but im not sure.

The price you have to pay for cutting down lead in landfill...

Theres still a good number of options for boards though, or, indeed, if you really want to battle stripboard, any number of things to build.

Indeed, when i finish building the CNC engraver im working on, that should be able to route out (and drill) 'pcbs' from bare board, thus not even needing to bother with stripboard, if you can use eagle or the like to layout the board.

...and itll be able to engrave, drill, and route front pannels.

(early days yet though - still buying surplus industrial parts from the usa at the moment, eg this - exciting stuff, im sure youll agree... )
Old 8th November 2007   #7
Loz
Bill Shatner

I'm more thinking of building something entirely myself, rather than from a kit. I know it's probably a bit much for a starter project, but part of the idea of building my own modular is that it would have it's own character, rather than just something that sounds like something everyone else has built.

Adrian from SRS has a mate who built his own analogue modular, and it sounds totally insane
Old 8th November 2007   #8
KuffDam

That's a shame, the ROHS legislation is a good thing though.

Very cool about the CNC engraver though Julian...
Old 8th November 2007   #9
KuffDam

Julian I need to get 64 LED's like this for my monome kit.. where is best to buy these in the UK?

(not necessarily that colour..)
Old 8th November 2007   #10
julian
i like synthesisers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
I'm more thinking of building something entirely myself, rather than from a kit. I know it's probably a bit much for a starter project, but part of the idea of building my own modular is that it would have it's own character, rather than just something that sounds like something everyone else has built.

If youve got the skills to design and build something from scratch, you certainly dont need to be asking us lot what itll cost!

But...

Id advise building a few bits to start with from pcbs etc. If you understand all that youve built 100% then youll have some referance/test equipment at least.
Old 8th November 2007   #11
julian
i like synthesisers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuffDam View Post
Julian I need to get 64 LED's like this for my monome kit.. where is best to buy these in the UK?

(not necessarily that colour..)

Buy them from hongkong - loads cheaper there. Silly money for fancy leds here....

Ebay is your friend.
Old 14th November 2007   #12
gzifcak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post

Adrian from SRS has a mate who built his own analogue modular, and it sounds totally insane

building a synth of your own design is a nice idea, but how are you going to learn to design the modules? chances are, you'll use existing designs, so why not buy the pcb too? there are a lot of interesting unconventional ones out there. you can also sprinkle in some of your own designs variations once you know what kind of difference you want. trust me, it will take you FOREVER to build a modular synth from scratch, with or without experience, and it will still take you a long time to do it from kits and pcbs, but will be far less frustrating. if it's the prepackaged idea you are worried about, just buy pcbs from ken stone and music from outer space, and buy all the components yourself.

as far as cost, the price of the parts will be worth FAR less than the number of hours you put into it, so how much is your time worth? if you have lots of time, i think it's cheaper to make than buy, but not if you're doing it all from scratch. at least that's been my experience.
Old 14th November 2007   #13
gzifcak

just saw this: http://www.squidoo.com/buildASynth/
Old 15th November 2007   #14
julian
i like synthesisers...

http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?fKeywords=Thomas%20 Henry